Tyler Perry Gets His Flowers With Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award At The Oscars

Tyler Perry was presented with flowers by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences tonight. While Perry is known for his writing, acting, producing, and directing, it was his humanitarianism that brought him to the main stage at the 93rd Academy Awards.


The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, named after the Danish-American screen actor who once served as president of the Motion Picture Relief Fund, was presented to Perry by Viola Davis. During his acceptance speech, the 51-year-old told a story about bringing a homeless woman to his studio's wardrobe closet and, after motioning to offer her money, she asked if he had any shoes for her.


“I remember being homeless with only one pair of shoes,” he said. He stated that the woman kept her dead down throughout their interactions that day and that it was only when a pair of shoes were placed on her feet that "she finally looks up, tears in her eyes, and says 'Thank you, Jesus, my feet are off the ground."


Perry went on to say that the woman told him she expected him to despise her, to which he replied, "How can I despise you when I was you?" My mother instilled in me the importance of refusing hatred. She taught me to avoid making broad generalizations.”


The filmmaker concluded his speech by urging everyone in the room to teach their children the same thing, saying he will lead by example when it comes to embracing all groups of people. “I refuse to hate someone simply because they are Black, White, or LGBTQ,” he stated. … “I refuse to hate someone just because they are a cop or Asian.”


Read next:  Caitlyn Jenner Announces She’s Running for California Governor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man I Love Fortnite Top List

Where to buy Deez Nuts Sold Here T Shirt?